Last March 16, 2020, the company made a tough but fulfilling decision.
As the case for COVID-19 gets more alarming in the city of Davao and the rest of the Philippines, Onerent Inc., who built a fort in the land of promise, offered work-from-home to all its employees. Not only giving the opportunity to work from home, the company is also offering its employees to bring their computer units with them and at the same time allocate funds for internet connectivity.
Most companies operating as BPOs in places affected by the virus are still on "business as usual". While everyone could be a suspect in the spread of the disease, not all company sees it as a threat -- at least to their business need.
There is really nothing to brag about. We just want to state the obvious and set example that there are still a few great companies, run by good caring individuals, that are out there, that stayed true to its mission. Everyone's safety and welfare will always be a priority, here at Onerent Philippines.
I am thankful for the leaders, for they've shown how much they really care. I am thankful for the people, for they've shown how grateful they really are. I am thankful to be a part of this family. Indeed, a great place to be.
Out from our decision, what do we tell our people?
- We will show no mercy to your excuses. The last thing we wanted to hear from you all is your excuse for not being able to report to work, not being able to follow the usage of TimeDoctor and not being able to meet the break schedules. You are in your most comfortable spot, use it on your own advantage. Don't get tempted by your commodities at home if you don't want to lose your job.
- Communication and coordination are key. To be able to work well especially in this kind of setup requires you to make sure that people are aware of what you're doing and what help you need. Over-communicate, give emphasis and be articulate as possible.
- Trust and Commitment. Remember that the company trusted everyone to stay committed amidst the situation we're at. Let's make sure everyone's effort won't be put to waste. Let's not fall into the traps of comfort. Let's stay true to our mission.
Out of our decision, what do we remind our people?
- Discipline. It's as important as food. If you really care for those who are around you, make sure to take care of yourself.
- Awareness. It's as important as alcohol. Keep distance. Observe cleanliness and hygiene. Avoid roaming to areas where you think people from different points of origin go.
- Faith. It's as important as medicine. Overthinking, over-reacting, and spreading of fake alarming news doesn't help the nation. Stay positive with precautions in mind. Help drive hope. That's what we need most during these times of chaos.
PS: Most solutions being offered by other BPOs to their people are what we consider fair between every employee and the company. On Onerent's case, it did is what is right.